Hi Steven, Nik, all,

Steven Shelton schrieb:

On 1/7/2010 7:31 AM, Nikash V. SINGH wrote:
The similarities are FAR too coincidental, and unintentional or
not, this issue needs to be addressed otherwise it could lead to
legal issues, or more pressing from my point of view, it would
compromise the integrity of the Art project.

I don't really see this as a major issue. At least in the States
(and I'm assuming its similar elsewhere), there could only be "legal
 issues" of the similarity of the logos would tend to create
confusion in the minds of consumers. I don't think there's any way
one could make any realistic argument that such is the case here.

I agree with you, Steven, on this point, but looking at the other point
Nik raises here, we should take the chance to use this coincidence to
drop at least the shape of the "dots" when we look for branding elements
to be kept for the new overall design.

Nik wrote:
By looking at that image, I think it should be obvious that Equal
has more right to use these motifs than OpenOffice.org does [...]
I feel strongly that the coloured dots should not be added to the
OOo  identity, not with such little relevance or thought [...]

I don't think that we can be called "brand borrowers" just because of the dots (the wire gulls have been compared to Adobe IIRC), but they don't serve well for a strong branding identity.

What I wanted to say is, that the community's vote has brought us the OOo3 splash screen that we use for over a year now. As long as we don't have a general branding identity I want to keep the elements we have - but the new project will probably be a good reason to replace weak elements by stronger ones without waiting for OOo4.

Right now OOo is plagued with arbitrary Design motifs;
>> - The mishaped gulls
>> - The wireframe gulls (which are showing their age
  as Design elements)
>> - The "reverse-s" which is used ad-hoc per design item
>> - A "3" which appears every so often with no fixed
  location, scale or typeface

I am totally on-board with you on these issues, however.

Same with me - there is quite a lot of work to do...

Let's find out what can be reached with Sun in the meeting next week.

Best regards

Bernhard