----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark A. Foster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Baha'i Studies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 2:33 PM
Subject: Terms vs. Concepts

> I just posted the following to an evolution vs. creationism list:
>

> As I see it, the problem is not "accepting vs. not accepting the Bible."
The root of religious literalism (Christian, Muslim, etc.) is what I regard
as a failure to recognize the distinction between terms and concepts. It is
when terms, or words, are treated as "real" and not as indicants pointing to
whatever meaning was in the mind of the writer that the various literalisms
and fundamentalisms are produced.

> Literalism, however, can function as a security blanket. I cannot remember
all the times that, after raising the above point, a fundamentalist or
neo-evangelical Christian objected with something like, "But that way, we
can't believe anything. You are merely trying to 'spiritualize' the Bible. I
would rather take it for what it says." Hence the view that literalism is
synonymous with taking the Bible for what it says.

Mark, that is probably a valid analysis of the situation.  On the other
hand, not everyone would analyse the situation that way.  Some individuals
recognize important sayings only as concepts.  The word stimulates the
production of the concept in the mind and heart of the hearer or reader.
However, one must begin with a literal understanding of a word (one may even
find it necessary to repair to a dictionary).  One must also begin with
fundamental principles.  It is, I think, better to adhere to plain meanings,
dictionary definitions and fundamental principles rather than step into the
unknown world of the concepts of another human being who will be judged by
the same God.

> One further illustration of the above are "word studies." There are entire
reference works which direct Christians to take a word and look at it
throughout the Bible - as if the various writers of the books of the Bible
did not place ideas into their own words or did not, in many cases, use the
same word to refer to an entirely different concept.

> I long ago gave up trying to persuade anyone that this approach is
misguided. It is, of course, just my point of view, and I have found that
literalists are rarely receptive to alternative hermeneutic strategies.

Fundamentalists and more moderate religionists do not think in terms of
strategies available for interpretation.  They believe that the only guide
to understanding anything is the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, or the
promptings of the Holy Spirit.

"How shall we attain the reality of knowledge? By the breaths and promptings
of the Holy Spirit which is light and knowledge itself. Through it the human
mind is quickened and fortified into true conclusions and perfect
knowledge."

 (Abdu'l-Baha, Foundations of World Unity, p. 46)

> Mark A. Foster * Portal: http://MarkFoster.net
> CompuServe: http://boards.M.Foster.name

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]