-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Sandra Chamberlain
Sent: 10 June 2004 23:45
To: Baha'i Studies
Subject: Re: Rev. 11:3

Dear Ahang,

Please accept my sincere appreciation for suggesting that we
should do "some digging" on our own.  I love to do
research -especially the Sacred Texts!  So much so that often
times I make new "discoveries" leading down a new path and
different search.  Just as I did today.

You have always been most helpful to me in the past and
personally, I do recognize that while you have done much study
and research in your scholarly endeavours; you are undoubtedly
a busy man.   It is difficult sometimes to refrain from
gleaning the insight of those we know have "done the work" and
proven their knowledge.

This is especially true, for me, if a statement is made
without specific references, i.e.: .this was in fulfillment of
Qur'anic prophecy about the "two liars" .  It tends to raise
all sorts of questions. sort of like hearing for the first
time where babies come from.

I've had occasion to research specific topics in the Quran
online and often have learned much more.  Regrettably, I have
not read the entire Quran and it's been years since I read the
entire Bible.  I have read all the Sacred Texts in English
over the course of 30+ years.  However, after all these years
on this list it has become apparent to me that those scholars
who are fluent in the original languages of Arabic and Persian
have been far more likely to draw on that ability and "connect
the dots" so to speak.

" Indeed, O Brother, if we ponder each created thing, we shall
witness a myriad perfect wisdoms and learn a myriad new and
wondrous truths."  The Valley of Knowledge - The Seven Valleys
and the Four Valleys, by Bahá'u'lláh, p. 32

Consequently, realizing that I simply do not have the
remaining time to devote to learning these languages; being on
this list and in this company is an invaluable experience for
me to not only learn more but to also have the desire and find
the encouragement to delve deeper into the Writings, myself.

So, again, Thank You! and, also, to Michael, Khazeh, Richard
and Vaughn.

Lovingly, Sandra

Dear Ahang,

<< I agree with this, but would state it slightly differently.  Nabil was
echoing and in fact down-playing Babi sentiments.  Quddus represented
himself, both in writing and apparently orally, as the return of Christ. For
the Babis that was a critical point since in Shi'a eschatology, the Mihdi
had to appear with the Christ.  Therefore the claim of the Bab to be the
Mihdi was incomplete by itself and the return of Christ had to accompany it,
which Quddus fulfilled.>>

I really know nothing about this matter apart from a vague idea of how Nabil
represents things--something I'm long overdue to revisit. But I'm wondering
if how you've presented this is how it is represented in Baha'i scripture or
if this is just suggested in sources about Quddus? Is this scriptural: "the
claim of the Bab to be the Mihdi was incomplete by itself and the return of
Christ had to accompany it"?
That is,
    1) Did the Bab ever directly claim to be the Mihdi?
    2) Was that claim, if made, represented by the Bab or Baha'u'llah as
incomplete by itself?
    3) Did the Bab assert that the return of Christ had to accompany Him or
is this just assumed from traditions and verses such as "and the Prophets
were brought up" (Qur'an 39:68/DB 41)? Also, how does Nabil differ from
Quddus' own self-representation? Does Quddus represent himself as the Mihdi?
    Sorry if you've answered all these questions before. My memory isn't too
good.
    It seems from Nabil that Quddus fulfills both positions, Mihdi and
Christ's return. That is, the tradition recorded by Bukhari regarding the
Mihdi is associated with Quddus:

"'Should your eyes behold the Black Standards proceeding from Khurasan,
hasten ye towards them, even though ye should have to crawl over the snow,
inasmuch as they proclaim the advent of the promised Mihdi, the Vicegerent
of God.'
That standard was unfurled at the command of the Bab, *in the name of
Quddus*, and by the hands of Mulla Husayn." (DB 351)

This point is further asserted in this text:

"In this manner they reached the shrine of Shaykh Tabarsi. The first words
that fell from the lips of Quddus after he had dismounted and leaned against
the shrine were the following: 'The Baqiyyatu’llah will be best for you if
ye are of those who believe.' By this utterance was fulfilled the prophecy
of Muhammad as recorded in the following tradition: 'And when the Mihdi is
made manifest, He shall lean His back against the Ka'bih and shall address
to the three hundred and thirteen followers who will have grouped around
Him, these words:
"The Baqiyyatu'llah will be best for you if ye are of those who believe."'"
(DB
352-3)

As Nabil presents it, the Bab never directly claims to be the Mihdi, only
Quddus, who is likewise represented as Christ, though not as a direct
echatological claim, as is the references to the Mihdi. It seems that the
Bab is represented as the Mihdi only insofar as when Quddus is represented
as the Mihdi, and we are led to understand that Quddus is in fact the light
of the Bab after the Bab was in captivity.
    Nabil seems to use Qur'an 39:68, fashioned in a sermon by Siyyid Kazim,
as a thesis for much in the following narrative. The christ-like
representation of Quddus conforms to this early expectation.
    In the NT there is a progression on some eschatological matters, such as
the Harrowing of Hell as eschatological fulfillment, with early texts silent
or even suggesting it hadn't occurred and latter texts attributed to Paul
and Peter affirming it. So perhaps something similar is occuring here. The
Bab is silent, while Quddus is addressing particular expectations and only a
limited picture of this is coming through in Nabil's narrative.

<<Towards this, for instance, Quddus named his sister Maryam (Mary) to evoke
that "Christian" connection and he modeled his life after the Christ
(wearing the same type of clothing, etc).  Baha'u'llah often linked Quddus
with Christ, for instance, stating that in his martyrdom no one suffered
more than Quddus, "not even Christ".>>

Nabil mentions Quddus' unconventional dress (DB 145), but how do we know how
Jesus dressed and if Quddus intended his clothes to represent those of
Jesus?
In saying that Quddus suffered more than Christ, Baha'u'llah would be
representing him as someone unlike Christ. But perhaps that's a peculiarly
Eastern way of representing likeness. But given Nabil's narrative
methodology, I would not be surprised by some linkage with Baha'u'llah's
writings.

<<The station of Quddus is really somewhat different from Ali's.  Ali never
had the station of Manifestationhood, which Quddus enjoyed.  That is, while
he did not bring about a new Shari'a, and reflected the light of the Bab, he
ranked as a Manifestation.>>

A new Shari'a is not really a requirement of a Manifestation, but rather a
type of Manifestation. But the connection with the Book of Revelation isn't
really based on either being Manifestations, apart from prophesying and
witnessing, functions of Manifestations, but not unique to Manifestations.

<<There is much more on this, as we've discussed before.  May be we do a
paper on this someday.>>

That would be fine, except that I have no qualifications or knowledge to
contribute. Certainly nothing you don't already know. But I have been hoping
you might put together a book on Quddus and his writings.

Warmest,
Michael