Dear Michael,

A very informative note indeed.

> Nabil
> for example represents Quddus in a Christ-like way which helps convey
the
> greatness of his station.

I agree with this, but would state it slightly differently.  Nabil was
echoing and in fact down-playing Babi sentiments.  Quddus represented
himself, both in writing and apparently orally, as the return of Christ.
For the Babis that was a critical point since in Shi'a eschatology, the
Mihdi had to appear with the Christ.  Therefore the claim of the Bab to be
the Mihdi was incomplete by itself and the return of Christ had to
accompany it, which Quddus fulfilled.  Towards this, for instance, Quddus
named his sister Maryam (Mary) to evoke that "Christian" connection and he
modeled his life after the Christ (wearing the same type of clothing,
etc).  Baha'u'llah often linked Quddus with Christ, for instance, stating
that in his martyrdom no one suffered more than Quddus, "not even Christ".

The station of Quddus is really somewhat different than Ali's.  Ali never
had the station of Manifestationhood, which Quddus enjoyed.  That is,
while he did not bring about a new Shari'a, and reflected the light of the
Bab, he ranked as a Manifestation.  Again, this was in fulfilment of
Qur'anic prophecy about the "two liars" (the Bab and Quddus) and the
"third one" (Baha'u'llah).

There is much more on this, as we've discussed before.  May be we do a
paper on this someday.

Regards,
ahang.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]