G:  Even today, there are many different groups claiming to be led
by the mahdi or his successors, or the second coming of christ, or the
latest installation of God's religion. From the Moonies, to the Branch
Davidians, to the Matreya followers, to the Ahmadiya, or the
Ansarullah, or the Nation of Islam, or the Cao Dai people etc.

M:  Just as it was clear that Jesus was the real thing among his many competitors, and Muhammad in his day, it is clear based on the Writings of Baha'u'llah that these Writings are the only Ones equal to the Qur'an in every criteria.

--

G: What I think I have been doing is arguing against what seems to me
Bahai belief in the incompleteness, insufficiency and inferiority of

M:  No where has the blanket statement been made that Islam is incomplete, insufficient, and inferior.  On the other hand!  It is complete, sufficient, and the Proof of God among the people.  Only its time has expired because the Most Great Judgement is here.

----

G:  If a well-intentioned monotheistic Christian had trouble seeing past
the stereotypes and prejudices of their background to recognizing
Muhammad and said Christianity was a sufficient guide for them, I
would actually not object to that person as much as you seem to think.

M:  And on the same grounds, my objections in this forums are a bit exaggerated, since you are a well-intentioned monotheist Muslim.

----

G:  It is totally possible that he is one of those who beleives in God, the last day, and does good. Maybe even Bahias can fit into the same category even if they aren't People of the Book.

M:  And obviously, the difference between the Baha'is and the Presbytarians (who acknowledge the humanity of Christ), is that the Baha'is are informing you that the Last Day is here and you are being Judged/Tested by the Lord.  We Baha'is are not acknowledging what you already believe.
----

G:  And again, I haven't dwelt on whether or not Bahaullah is wrong, but
focused on whether Islam is sufficient.

M:  Fair enough.  It is an important distinction, yes.
---

G:  People are always being tested. All the time. Every day. If you wanted
to say that according to your metaphorical understanding judgement day
is happening all the time with everyone, I actually don't think I
would object. In fact just yesterday I was listening to a CD from a
talk by a Shadhili teacher who was saying something similar... that
Judgement Day can be thought of as an individual spiritual event.

M:  No, I am not talking about the Lesser Judgement, which is true as the Shadhili teacher described.  I am refering to the Most Great Judgement Day foretold by all the Prophets.  This is Baha'u'llah claims.  It is not a light claim to make, and therefore, the Muslim divines of his time persecuted Him and His followers, because it is such a bold statement.

----

G:  But then if Judgement Day happens all the time the coming of the Bab and Bahaullah isn't going to be special.

M:  Don't get me wrong, there are different levels of Judgement.  The appearance of each Manifestation may be considered as a Great Judgement Day.  But the Most Great Judgement Day did only happen once, with the coming of the Twin Manifestations Bab and Baha'u'llah.  It was They who clarified that Great Judgement Days did happen over and over with the coming of each Manifestation, something which was not apparent at the time of Their coming.  Further, Muhammad ended the 'Cycle of Prophet', and we are now in the 'Cycle of Fullfillment' (i.e. 'the Most Great Judgement Day foretold by all the Prophets'.)

Do you Yahoo!?
The all-new My Yahoo! – What will yours do? __________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com To unsubscribe, send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, use subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu