"What we have to do, then is to go back in time and piece together what
Baha'u'llah wrote on the subject and how He envisioned it, especially in
regard
to the issue of infallibility and the scope thereof, then how Abdu'l-Baha
expanded the scope and how He envisioned the role of the House with a living
Guardian, etc."

Dear Ahang,

Your argument seems to be that since one element of the function of the
Universal House of Justice which Abdu'l-Baha added to Baha'u'llah's vision
is missing, then all of those all of what He added are no longer operative
and therefore we go back only to what Baha'u'llah explicitly revealed in
this regard, minus Abdu'l-Baha's elucidations. I don't see that this is
warranted given the fact that *nowhere* does Abdu'l-Baha suggest that either
the scope or the infalliblity of the Universal House of Justice was
derivative of the Guardian's own functions and infallibility. As for what
Baha'u'llah said on this subject, as I mentioned He says very little about
the infallibility of *any* of His successors, including Abdu'l-Baha. Whether
we are talking about Abdu'l-Baha, the Guardian or the House of Justice we
depend on Abdu'l-Baha's own word in this regard.

> Universal House of Justice in consultation are recipients of unfailing
Divine
> Guidance."
> (Messages, p. 157)

"Yes, but exact same thing is stated in regard to all Spiritual Assemblies.
That is, in consultation, they are all recipient of Divine Guidance."

I don't recall the term 'unfailing' being used in connection with other
elected institutions. Could you post a quotation which applies that
terminology for us?

"I'm not saying that the infallibility of the House is *dependent* upon
service
of a living Guardian.  I'm saying that the scope of it *might* be impacted."

Why would they even be connected, Ahang? As I said, if the Guardian believed
interpreting things involving the Obligatory Prayers was within his own
scope he would have ruled on it himself, without delaying it for a decision
of the Universal House of Justice. He doesn't need them to intepret.

"And how to do square the statement above, which admittedly is very broad,
with
Baha'u'llah specific instruction for the House of Justice not to get
involved
with issues that had to do with "acts of worship"?"

But is that what He is saying? Or is He merely saying that these things
should be done according to the Book?

"Again, in my very fallible view, this is different than what Baha'u'llah
stated.  It is an expansion of the scope given in 8th Bisharat.  The reason
that Abdu'l-Baha was able to expand this scope was because He added a
Guardian
to the House to serve as its permanent member and head."

And it couldn't just be that both the Guardianship and His elucidations of
the scope of the authority of the Universal House of Justice constituted
authoritative interpretations of Baha'u'llah's intentions?

warmest, Susan