From: Walter Cameron <walter.li...@waltercameron.com>
Reply: dev@community.apache.org <dev@community.apache.org>
Date: April 28, 2022 at 01:29:03
To: dev@community.apache.org <dev@community.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: It’s time to change the name

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 6:40 PM Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> Walter: what are you personally willing to volunteer to do? What is
> your plan? What resources do you need?

Honestly Sam the extent of my plan was to bring attention to this issue and
the harms it’s caused. Beyond that I’m kinda winging it but I appreciate
your eagerness and openness to change. I had hoped I’d speak up, people
would finally pull their heads out of the sand and work to undo the harm
they’ve caused.

ASF’s brand violates its own CoC. You would think that might spur effort
for change by those perpetuating the harm, but if you want me to do the
work I’ll do whatever I can. I’m not that familiar with the details of the
organization, surely not as familiar as one of its Directors, so in a lot
of ways I don’t fully understand the scope of what needs to be done, but
I’m willing to volunteer a few weekends of my rudimentary technical and
design skills to run a “Find & Replace…” and put together a new logo or
whatever you think would be helpful in this effort. I haven’t designed a
logo in probably 15 years but I’m willing to give it a try.

I would have assumed that an organization with a paid staff and goals to
increase the diversity of its contributors and continue receiving corporate
donations would understand that the costs of inaction outweigh the costs of
action here.

Let me know what else I can do to help.

Walter