Artifacts can't be removed from Maven in any normal circumstance, but,
it's no problem.

The argument that people might keep using it goes for any older
release. Why would anyone use 1.6.0 when 1.6.1 exists? yet we keep
1.6.0 just for the record and to not break builds. It may be that
Foobar 3.0-beta depends on 2.0.0-preview and 3.0 will shortly depend
on 2.0.0, but, killing the -preview artifact breaks that other
historical release/branch.

I agree that "-alpha-1" would have been better. But we're talking
about working around pretty bone-headed behavior, to not notice what
version of Spark they build against, or not understand what
2.0.0-preview vs 2.0.0 means in a world of semver.

BTW Maven sorts 2.0.0-preview before 2.0.0, so 2.0.0 would show up as
the latest, when released, in tools like mvn
versions:display-dependency-updates. You could exclude the preview
release by requiring version [2.0.0,).