Andrew O'Brien wrote:
> I was reading the 30M Digital Group web page  (
> http://www.30meterdigital.org/ ) and thinking a bit...   Much of what
> is posted there makes sense to many of the people that are avid users
> of the digitalradio Yahoo group.  The band is not crowded with
> contests, there is less competition with other modes, etc, etc.  So,
> perhaps we can make more of an effort to use this band,  Has anyone
> tried it for Digital Voice. ?  Also, what typical range does the band
> afford in daylight and evening conditions?

Andy,

A couple of years ago a friend and I played around on 30M with CW an found that
a close ground mounted dipole with reflector makes a GREAT NVIS antenna and we
had contacts from 50-75 miles close in out to 2,000+ miles.

The dipole was put up at the measured 50 ohm feedpoint heigth and there were
three reflectors under the dipole all 20% longer than the dipole and all tied
together.

100 watts CW down to 10 watts just banged in all the time.

Walt/K5YFW