Rick, I prefaced my comment with " It is my belief that if "voice" of the
same bandwidth were allowed everwhere
 "data" is allowed, the data segments of the bands would be overrun with
phone stations using DV."

Perhaps it is not clear what I meant. For example, if someone comes up with
a DV of 300 hz bandwidth, it will quickly be widely used anywhere 300 hz
bandwidth signals are allowed, and the crush of phone users will leave
little space for modes like MFSK16 of the same bandwidth to operate, simply
because there will be so many people wanting to use phone instead of another
digital mode, like MFSK16, but that is just my personal belief.

If there were a DV mode the same width as PSK31, then the same would prove
true, except that there are more spaces to use PSK31, because of its narrow
bandwidth, than there are digital operators looking for space (right now,
but changing). In fact there already is a sort of narrowband "DV" in my
DigiTalk program for the blind, which "speaks" the PSK31 text (at 50 wpm
text-to-speech), but, because going the other way (speech-to-text), still
has a 5% translation error rate at best, "speaking" must still be done by
typing, and that is a deterrent to many who might use PSK31 if they could
just speak into a mike and have errorless text go out over the air.

As you point out, some sort of planned segregation is going to be inevitable
on shared bands. With phone and CW, there was a common language for
everyone, and sharing was possible by QRL or other Q signals on CW or the
equivalent on phone, but that sharing technique is useless when one mode
does not hear or understand another. We have yet to experience what it will
be like if everyone uses DV, there is not enough space to hold everyone, and
someone accidentally starts up on your frequency because propagation was
such he thought it was clear and did not happen to choose an alternate clear
frequency he could QSY to if he could just understand a request to do so.

I believe the thing that makes it possible for PSK31 to have a space, for
example, is only that there is no true 31.25 Hz-wide phone mode. Of course,
the more narrow the mode, the more stations that will fit in any given slice
of spectrum, so it is advantageous to have the most narrow modes possible so
there is room for as many stations as possible. At some point, there will be
plenty of space, depending upon the demand, even if everyone used a voice
mode that is only 31.25 Hz wide. For example, if every RTTY contester only
used PSK63, there would probably be more than enough space so that during
contests, RTTY stations would not have to spread out so much.

There was a psychological experiment some years ago in which scientists set
up two cages of rats, one overcrowded and one just at capacity. The rats in
the overcrowded cage ate each other until they were no longer overcrowded.

Skip KH6TY