Skip,

It is almost for sure that if the FCC equated DV as being similar to any
other digital mode, that DV would not take over the ever decreasing size
of the text digital portions of the HF bands. There are several reasons:

- the lower portions of the bands, historically used for the earliest
text digital mode based on wetware decoding will likely see further
reductions in that mode (CW), except during contest periods since almost
no new hams are acquiring even basic CW skills, much less proficiency.
This will allow for more space for text digital, assuming that text
digital will be segregated in that manner.

- since DV is likely to never be competitive with analog SSB for weak
signals as analog due to the practical limitations of science.

- if digital modes did increase in popularity, which would primarily be
voice DV, there would be tremendous pressure to segregate digital and
analog modes by a sizable majority of radio amateurs. And it works both
ways, as you well noted, analog SSB is a serious hindrance to digital
modes in general.

- some phone bands are underutilized now, such as on 80 meters, with few
stations on the lower end of the voice sub bands and yet CW and digital
can be quite crowded in a space that is well under half of what we
previously had. (And I admit was underutilized with that mix too).

Unless we eventually go to bandwidth based bandplans, and at the same
time do not segregate by mode (especially voice modes, whether analog or
digital), then it would be entirely appropriate for hams to use narrow
voice modes for spectrum conservation and do it in the appropriate
bandwidth areas. Based upon comments made by Dave Sumner in the past, I
am not sure that will be supported by ARRL, since he seems to suggest
that even if we have bandwidth limits, we will not necessarily mix
modes. In fact, it was at that point that I was no longer as supportive
of the withdrawn ARRL proposals, because it will still not allow us the
ability to use voice and data intermixed on the HF bands (even if only
in small areas) which I consider to be one of the most unfortunate
effects of our current rules.

The best band plans are those that allow for the best use of a shared
resource. If one part of the band is congested and another part is under
utilized, that means the planning is flawed. And since conditions and
events constantly vary, the best regulations are the minimum necessary
to make more efficient use of the bands for the maximum number of shared
resource users.