If we really could run voice on 300 Hz BW, I would support using it in a
narrow digital area since I think that it is good practice to provide
protection for narrow modes against the wide modes. Ironically, that is
not what is currently in the FCC rules. We have very wide BW modes,
running in the text digital areas of the HF bands, but you can not run
narrow modes in the wide portions of the bands (the image/voice portions).

I honestly think that much of this HF DV stuff is pie in the sky. It
might be possible that there could be a breakthrough in digital
technology which would turn things upside down but then again is that
realistically going to happen? The restricted BW voice modes are pretty
much following theory and the quality suffers terribly in terms of
comprehension. But let's say a miracle occurs and you could get greatly
improved quality with a narrow bandwidth. If that happened, we would see
a migration to the narrower voice modes which will free up a lot of
bandwidth.

But I don't think this will happen as DV will be difficult, if not
impossible to operate with other signals in the passband. This may work
with military/commercial channels and high power, but it just does not
have the technological edge that SSB has for weak signal, high QRM,
shared frequencies, that are so typical on the HF ham bands.

As you point out, there are hams who read the text back with a "voice"
and it has been around for many years. If you recall, not long ago (year
or so?) there was a QST article about a ham sending PSK31 via a speech
to text conversion so that is also being done, at least on a limited basis.

Whenever new modes come along that really have a compelling value, they
are eventually adopted when the cost/benefit ratio makes it possible to
do so. Either for widespread use if they stand the test of time, or
sometimes for niche purposes as we are seeing with some of the text
digital modes.

I rarely get involved in contesting, but it appears that RTTY works
better for fast exchanges. At least it may be perceived that way. I have
tried PSK31 for casual quick contacts such as Field Day and found it
impractical for me to work many stations compared to voice. I have not
tried PSK63, (other than casual tests) but hope to use this for a very
different purpose when the MS Windows version is made available for the
emergency communication program that is currently being used on Linux.
Are you personally involved in that project as you were with the Linux
version?