My use of the band is mostly based upon propagation and, as you pointed
out, minimal competition with other stations. This is particularly
important with non-cw digital modes since they are typically much wider
than cw and can not tolerate too much overlap in interference.

Here in the U.S. could you use it for digital voice? The FCC made a
determination that DV and analog voice are considered ... voice, and
since voice is not permitted on the band for us, we could not use such a
mode. Which is a bit strange when you consider that someone listening to
the raw data would have no way of knowing if it was voice or other kind
of of "data."

Even if we move toward bandwidth, rather than mode bandplans, it appears
that modes will still play an important part. And in the past few
months, I would have to say that I am much less supportive of
segregation by bandwidth since many of the modes simply do not play well
together. In particular, digital modes are severely impacted by even
slight interference from modes such as SSB voice. This has become more
noticeable on bands such as 40 meters with stations outside of the U.S.
going down low in the band, even in what has been mostly digital data
watering holes.

For daytime range, the 30 meter band goes farther than 40 meters, so
1000 mile contacts are quite reasonable.