Thank you, Rick and others, for helping to clarify my impression of this
petition.

Yes, I agree that Winlink 2000 should not be the only form of emergency
backup communication, but that said, it is very useful and fun to use when
no other communication form is available and, when combined with other forms
of backup communication, can augment an emergency situation.  I.e., routine
posts of GPS coordinates can assist in determining last known location.
Especially when they are highly noise and low-signal tolerant and are among
other forms of backup communications available.

But I can say that I did not appreciate that the proposal sought only to
make limitations on only the highest bandwidth forms of PACTOR 3 and some
forms of automatic, unattended use.  This is my fault for not fishing this
out of the proposal and it appears from the posts I have read that many
others seem to have this misinterpretation.

I am not taking away from how well thought out and useful the petition is.
And I'll need to go back and re-read it, but it should not take several
translations of a proposal via e-mail for the vast majority of hams to get
the gist.  The abstract or foreword of this petition needs to be worded in
such a way so non-technical individuals can come away with an accurate
representation and be able to vote on it with good knowledge of what it
means.

Overall, I agree that we should tighten the noose a little so that these
operations can be done responsibly, and to "encourage" more innovation, ie.,
software that can detect when a freq is in use.  But if I am reading between
the lines correctly, there is so much anger about these operations that the
intention may be to try to chase them off the HF bands by making the
restrictions overly untenable.  For this, I am very opposed as being not in
the spirit of ham radio.

Michael

  _____