We won't have to "give" the bands back; we won't have that option here in
the US.  A few more Petitions, more tradition fueled Proposed Rulemaking
Laments from the ARRL and the continued bickering of folks who have the sole
purpose in life of stoking their own ego.....And the FCC will relieve us of
the burden of giving the HF bands back.

The amount of money distributed within the D700 bill put more government
agency ownership of amateur radio stations than has ever been witnessed
before.  The perks dangled in front of government and ESF employees to
procure an Amateur Radio license puts the individual operator who uses his
equipment in the "optional" category of folks to be invited to an official
emergency event.

The Katrina AAR once again gave FEMA a black eye.  They are very
accomplished in being a national embarrassment, and decided to vote with
funding to further distribute the blame in the coming disasters.  Amateur
Radio scored high marks in the aftermath of Katrina.  FEMA/DHS made sure
that enough money was thrown at Amateur Radio to have a properly registered
scape goat prior to the next helping of humble pie.

We are performing exactly the way we are expected to in our entirely
rational, knowledgeable, non-opinionated appraisal of the expansion of
digital modes.  NOT!

There is nothing new here.  We are doing exactly what we do best; resisting
change and living in the past.  The real tragedy is that we are the only
ones that don't see this.  Others not only see this, they count on it, take
it to the bank and use it to grow crops.  We produce some of the best fossil
fuel available, and do it profusely.

The average age of the Amateur Radio operator is somewhat north of 60
decades in existence.  Attrition is also likely to prevent our having to
worry about giving the HF spectrum back to the Government.  It will shrink
in proportion to the among of resources (Operators) available to use it.

If folks would utilize the time they spend complaining learning to be better
operators, learning to work through interference, learning to master the
features of the equipment they operate, learning to operate alternative
modes, and most of all, learning to communicate... then, and only then would
we be able to take tropics such as the one before us and turn the discussion
from the long honored tradition of exercising our inflated egos by slinging
opinions around and actually entering into a discussion that could have
positive results.

But, it won't happen; the FCC Will take spectrum back, long before we ever
evolve to the point of becoming better operators and having constructive
discussion for the common good.

I think your Crystal Ball is receiving just fine....

David
KD4NUE