For what it is worth, this is what I typed in my response to this
proceeding.  We should be focusing on finding ways to encourage more use of
this spectrum, lest we lose it.  With the elimination in the licensing
requirement for CW, how crowded do we really think the bottom ends of the
band will really be in 50 years with CW operators?

I oppose this proceeding and a step backward in innovation for

ham radio.

I strongly oppose limiting digital automatic transmission on

the HF bands.

I strongly suggest leaving the bands as they are unchanged for

the following reason:

1.) With the number of hams declining, and a decline in the use

of CW modes, there really is no substantial risk of overcrowding

in this spectrum.

2.) The automatic PACTOR II & III modes are an invaluable service

to nautical hams in urgent situations when no other communication

may be available, i.e., cell phone or available HF phone operators.

This is an innovative method of safety of operation for nautical

operators.

3.) If limitations in the use of automatic PACTOR use were really

necessary, why not just band segregate their usage rather than

completely ban them.

4.) The hobby of ham radio would be better suited to increase

the number of available operating modes to encourage further

hams use of HF spectrum.

Michael

  _____