Demetre,

It is possible that SCS did license Pactor at a later time. It seems to
me that other companies tried to implement the memory ARQ function with
limited success.  This feature is not necessary for Pactor to operate,
but it does help greatly with weak signals. However, if a company
licenses a product, they normally get some kind of source code or
something of value that makes their product equal to their competition
they are buying it from. And there is no question whatsoever that the
AEA, HAL, and KAM products Pactor implementation simply did not work as
well as SCS's.

The only company here in the U.S. that I am sure had a license from SCS
was Gwyn Reedy, W1BEL's, Paccomm Company. I think I recall that he
purchased the boards, but at least the firmware from SCS. He used
different packaging and a minor feature or two to try and differentiate
his product, but discovered that he could not really compete and
eventually discontinued production and sales.

Sadly, Gwyn was killed in a vehicular accident only a year ago:(  He was
a major promoter of packet radio and equipment.

The reason that companies could duplicate Pactor without a license is
that initially it was more of an open standard intended for ham radio
use. The principals of SCS are hams. It was not until Pactor 2 and then
Pactor 3 that it became a highly protected product. Even so, I have a
letter in my files, which I can not seem to find at the moment, but I
think I still have someplace, from Bill Henry at HAL discussing this
issue as I was concerned about it before buying the HAL P-38 modem. This
was before the invention of P2.

Pactor modes do not have any miracle abilities for weak signals. What
they do have is the ability to combine a number of enhancements in one
protocol to make it work at a highly optimized level under varying
conditions. Nothing like that exists with sound cards because thus far
there has been no interest by those who have the ability to write this
kind of software to do so. Some of us have asked and they have said
their focus is on keyboard chat modes to the exclusion of high speed
messaging.

For weak. error free signals, I have been very impressed with the new
FAE 400 mode and this is the first sound card mode that can work better
than Pactor in weak signals and with similar bandwidth (< 500 Hz) but
not quite as fast under better conditions since it can not change
speeds. The wide FAE mode (faster baud rate and faster throughput) can
not compete well with weaker signals and the width is a problem when you
also consider the throughput.

Pactor 2 is still the best narrow mode protocol at this time. Pactor 3
is much the same except intended for commercial channels where you have
the space to widen out tremendously after the initial < 500 Hz
negotiation to determine if the other station is a P1, P2, or P3 station
and then what kind of conditions are present.

I don't know of any PSKmail use in the U.S. There have been no comments
on this group of success with this mode here although I think there may
be at least one server? In order for it to gain any traction it would
have to run natively on Windows. Even then there is no guarantee of
success, but I know that I would be very interested if someone did open
it up for cross platform use.