--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Roger J. Buffington"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Demetre SV1UY wrote:
>
> >  Hi Rick,
> >
> >  Well my old KAM Controller with it's addon PCB for supporting PACTOR
> >  1 definatelly has Memory ARQ. Memory ARQ is a must for PACTOR
> >  protocol. There is no PACTOR without memory ARQ.
>
> Actually, this is untrue. The PK232 did not have memory arq, and unless
> I am mistaken neither did the Kantronics units.
>
> >  As for licensing yes it was licensed. I do not think that any serious
> >  american company does reverse engineering.
>
> AEA, Kantronics, and HAL all reverse-engineered Pactor, with varying
> degrees of success.
>
> de Roger W6VZV

Well,

I have a KAM controller with PACTOR 1. I bet you have not even seen one.

As for reverse engineering, I do not know about that, but if they did
that, this is one more reason for the failure of their product. I know
that SCS did license PACTOR 1 though and because of the bad
implementation of the above companies they decided not to do the same
with PACTOR-2 and 3. Also I don't believe that in a lawful country
such as USA any revers engineering would take place my serious
companies unless if Kantronics, AEA, MFJ are pirate companies, which I
do not believe.

73 de Demetre SV1UY