--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Roger J. Buffington"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Demetre SV1UY wrote:
>
> >  Well,
> >
> >  I have a KAM controller with PACTOR 1. I bet you have not even seen
> >  one.
>
> You know, Demetre, I am getting tired of remarks like that from you.  I
> have attempted to reply to your posts with courtesy, but you seem bent
> upon returning courtesy with bad manners.  Please stop that.
> In actual fact, I **own** a KAM unit.  Used it for GTOR.  It was
> horrible for Pactor 1 in my opinion; quite inferior to my old PK232 (my
> first TNC) and in no way comparable to the SCS PTC-II which I also used
> to own.  GTOR was very unreliable, and is utterly dead and gone.
>
> Someone else on this forum has corrected my statement that the KAM
units
> lacked memory-arq.  OK, fine.  My experience with the unit, as I
> mentioned above, was that they were buggy and did not do well for
Pactor.

> >  As for reverse engineering, I do not know about that, but if they did
> >  that, this is one more reason for the failure of their product. I
> >  know that SCS did license PACTOR 1 though
>
> Actually, the only outfit they licensed it to was one American company
> the name of which escapes me.  They were not a business success, and I
> think they were actually just selling re-labelled SCS modems rather
than
> different modems using licensed Pactor protocol.  I do not believe that
> any amateur radio manufacturer ever succeeded in negotiating a straight
> license with SCS for Pactor.  This leads to the inference that SCS
wants
> to sell hardware, not merely enjoy licensing fees.  I may be mistaken
> about that, but that is not an unreasonable deduction.
>
> de Roger W6VZV

Sorry if I made you upset Roger, but you insist on something you do
not know very well and always try to prove that the other guy is
wrong. If I was a bit harsh with you it was for that reason and I did
not mean to offend you.

Happy New Year and I hope the New Year will be better for us all. I
hope we will all be happier with the FCCs outcome whatever this maybe.

You know, we can all get along without any arguments. Every mode and
every taste has it's place in the amateur bands. There are no better
and no worse modes. The best ones are the ones we like. So you can do
your thing and I can do mine and as I said before, the civilized world
is supposed to be tolerant.

73 de Demetre SV1UY

P.S. enough said!!!