From: "Howard Z." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <digitalradio@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:42 PM
Subject: [digitalradio] Re: How Can We Push HF Emcomm Messages to the Field?

SKIP SKIP SKIP
READ READ READ

I, HOWARD, AM not not NOT NOT not THE PERSON WITH THE QUESTION NOR
THE PROBLEM.

GEEZ, I TRY TO ANSWER SOMEONE'S QUESTION, AND SUDDENLY IT BECOMES MY
QUESTION AND MY PROBLEM.

If you are going to address someone - address the individual who has
the problem or question in the first place.

Personally - I don't care.
Personally, I am an emergency worker who will never ever be sent to
help in an ARES/RACES HAM group, because my agency will need me here.
If it snows 20 feet one day, I'll be disciplined if I do not get to
work - lose all bonuses and raises for a year.
Personally, I already own expensive HF equipment and consider VHF
short range no matter what you do with it - compared to a few
hundred miles one gets via HF with a NVIS antenna 10 feet above
ground.  Personally, I think VHF is nice for 10 to 20 miles - you
can go further - nice for you.  I'll keep it in mind if anyone gets
a team of bulldozers and makes Maryland flat - I can't walk a block
or two with reaching a hill.

I am not the one who asked the question.
I am not the one who asked the question.
Don't try giving me advise when I am not the one who asked the
question.

The original poster who posed the question and who has the problem
was considering HF as a solution.

Watson, I think he's got it... maybe.

Howard

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "kh6ty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Howard,
>
> We already achieved successful, error-free, VHF communication
(with no
> repeated blocks) using NBEMS software over a 70 mile path in flat
country
> between two 50 watt FM transceivers, one with a 7.5 dBi antenna at
10 feet
> off the ground and the other with a 7.5 dBi antenna 25 feet off
the ground.
> I have also developed a DOX interface for FM transceivers which
have no VOX.
> A schematic is here:
> http://home.comcast.net/~hteller/Interface%20schematic.jpg
>
> We are now in the process of determining just how much farther we
can go
> using FM. However, using SSB with DominoEX, we have already
reached 100
> miles consistently between a 9 dBi antenna and a 13 dBi antenna.
We think
> that a 100 mile capability is sufficient to reach outside
connectivity for

http://home.comcast.net/~hteller/sideview.jpg. By
> using a two section mast, everything will fit in the trunk or in
the back
> seat.
>
> NBEMS does not support "push" emcomm email, because there is no
confirmation
> of delivery. Instead, there must just be an operator present at
each end of
> the link. This also helps prevent transmitting on an already
active
> frequency.
>
> As you correctly note, VHF FM transceivers cost only a couple of
hundred
> dollars instead of a thousand for SSB-capable transceivers,
however, it is
> absolutely necessary to use horizontally-polarized, gain, antennas
to go
> farther than a repeater can go. The portable station antenna is
usually
> going to be near the ground, and at 10 feet off the ground, there
is a huge
> 6 dB penalty to using vertical polarization. We are now changing
the
> emphasis of NBEMS from SSB to FM with DominoEX in order to make it
possible
> for more people to use NBEMS and also take advantage of the low
cost FM-only
> transceivers in the field.
>
> There appears to be a 3 dB or greater disadvantage to using FM
over SSB,
> even with horizontally-polarized antennas, but that can be made up
with
> increased antenna gain or power. Phone will not work on VHF over
the same
> long distances as DominoEX or MFSK16 will work, because the noise
level is
> often so high, the voice just cannot be understood or even heard
at all.
> However, DominoEX and MFSK16 can still decode when the S/N is 10
or 12 dB
> UNDER the noise level, and that is how we get such long distance
> communication on 2m.
>
> 73, Skip KH6TY
> NBEMS Development Team

Internal Virus Database is out of date.