“In this county you can sum up the biggest problem in
one word "manpower". Within my zip code there is
3 hams living in town.

One is up in the years and has not been on the air in
years as well as to weak to do much.

As far as the other 2, one is chief of police. The other
is #2 in command on the fire department.”

I passed the question to my ARES crew that is posted in the subject area as
it is an important question and with great scenarios.

We just went through the largest mass exercise in Ontario called Trillium
Exercise here in Thunder Bay Ontario. ARES was not involved as much as they
should have been but we did have a chance to pass traffic via radio during
the time.

Anyhow, we too are in an area where we have a large mass of land and few
hams to fill it. I have many areas in my ARES district that are vacant, so
again getting those messages there are going to be tough both ways if all
power and communications are down.

Consensus here has MT63 as the mode of choice in digital traffic and use of
NVIS antennas.

We use it for CFARS as well…

Anyway, I think it is a great question and some good answers have come out
of it.

Regards

Fred

VE3FAL