I disagree with the statement that in a regulation by bandwidth that there is
no phone band. Yes there is. In Canada we have bandwidth only restrictions. I
would no sooner transmit Pactor in the phone band than transmit SSB in the CW
band. Why? Its because commonsense prevails most of the time and we adhere to a
voluntary band plan which is laid out by Radio Amateurs of Canada. If Canadian
operators, or any country in the world for that matter, just arbitrarily
decided they they would no longer adhere to some internationally recognized
band plan just think how fast they would be jumped upon by the rest of the
amateur community. Even with band restrictions only laws you have to have
agreed upon mode restrictions on certain portions of the bands, because
otherwise you'd have anarchy. It works in Canada and other places around the
world because most of the amateur operators want to work cooperatively with the
rest of the planet. And one more thing, for which I will probably loose my
Kanuckistan passport for saying... if we didn't have the FCC regulating the US
amateur community then we'd probably have huge problems around the world trying
to adhere to gentlemanly band plans because there are a lot of unreasonable
people out there, some of which are licensed...

Paul
VE9NC