On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 06:17:27 AM Roland Turner via dmarc-discuss
wrote:
> Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > the extent ARC is useful to mitigate the DMARC mailing list issue, it's
> > only useful with additional data inputs that are not public and are not
> > feasible for small providers to generate on their own.
>
> I meant to ask earlier: would you level the same criticism at SMTP, given
> that running a useful mail-receiving-server without a solid DNSBL is now
> more-or-less infeasible? Does the fact that Spamhaus is already available
> free of charge to all of the small guys change this analysis?

The fact that there are high quality services available free/reasonable for a
little guy to pay does alter my perspective.  At the time  DNSBLs were
becoming popular/necessary there wasn't the same level of concentration in the
market and even going back to open relay lists there's ~always been something
anyone on a modest budget could use.

> Perhaps the fact that SMTP was developed at a time that abuse was not
> widespread gives it a free pass on this front? Presumably you don't argue
> that, *because* we're already in a high-abuse environment we should
> therefore cease collaboration on any class of solution which happens to
> require more data than is either: (a) feasible for small guys to process
> usefully, or
> (b) available to small guys at all?

SMTP has always been, with a little study, been something any competent admin
could do.  It takes a lot more study and more resources than a decade or two
ago, but we haven't, in my opinion, crossed a tipping point where that's not
longer possible.  So SMTP gets a pass because it's ~always been accessible (I
know in the dim reaches of history that wasn't quite always so).

I think solutions feasible for one segment of the market (large, small,
purple, blue, don't care) are fine to collaborate on as long as people are
clear it's a partial solution.

> Would the public availability from a trustworthy source of data that makes
> it possible to use ARC to decide when to override DMARC policies[1] change
> your position?
>
> - Roland
>
> 1: I *don't* believe that this would take the form of a whitelist. It's more
> like the ability to recognise changes in baseline behaviour by forwarders
> who may or may not be ARC signing. I suspect that John Levine's concerns
> about whitelists have some strength.

It would as that data is the barrier to entry I'm worried about.  I think it's
actually two lists:

1.  Domains good enough you ought to trust to believe what they say in ARC.
2.  Domains bad enough you ought to reject their mail if they show up in ARC.

I do wonder though if I have the data to toss the message why they didn't in
the first place (and if they didn't why I should trust them).  So generically,
yes, but I'm not certain what the characteristics of such a data source would
be.

Scott K