On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 10:53 PM, Scott Kitterman via dmarc-discuss
<dmarc-discuss@dmarc.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 06:17:27 AM Roland Turner via dmarc-discuss
> wrote:
>> Scott Kitterman wrote:

>> 1: I *don't* believe that this would take the form of a whitelist. It's more
>> like the ability to recognise changes in baseline behaviour by forwarders
>> who may or may not be ARC signing. I suspect that John Levine's concerns
>> about whitelists have some strength.
>
> It would as that data is the barrier to entry I'm worried about.  I think it's
> actually two lists:
>
> 1.  Domains good enough you ought to trust to believe what they say in ARC.
> 2.  Domains bad enough you ought to reject their mail if they show up in ARC.
>
> I do wonder though if I have the data to toss the message why they didn't in
> the first place (and if they didn't why I should trust them).  So generically,
> yes, but I'm not certain what the characteristics of such a data source would
> be.

I looked at spamassassin and they don't do this work: take all the
domains in From, Reply-to, Sender, Dkim,... and evaluate them against
Domain Blocking lists and rejecting or scoring the email... they would
argue it is not a clear indicator of spam. Indeed, it has plenty false
positives but it obliges the domain owners to clean their domain or
practices... If I had the time to code some new spamassassin rules.

On the barrier to entry, I'm not sure an enterprise/organization can
run a mail system without some form of paid appliance/services to
filter out spam/phish/malware.

Yes I'm mindful that any clued admin should be able to run a mail
system. I don't think so far I have seen anyone making it impossible.
If you do the right things, your email can be sent and will be
accepted. The difficulty is how much spam you will be able to filter
for your incoming mail into your system. Paid services seems to
provide less risk.