Scott, I don't really see any difference in the class of problem. You could
choose to outsource email it to Google Apps or Microsoft Office 365 if you
don't want to figure this stuff out yourself. Many do, from SMB to
enterprise level, even though email is core to just about every company's
business. For some, that's very much the reason to job it out to a company
who focuses on email as an area of expertise.

On the flip side, I disagree with regard to your take on running a blog.
Anybody can do it, but many people outsource that as well. I personally
host my blog with a third party service, because self-hosted Wordpress is
one of the most hacked into things out there and I want no part of that
noise, even though in theory I could handle it. I know I'm not the only
one, and just about anything in this paragraph could similarly apply to
email.

Regards,
Al Iverson

--
Al Iverson - Minneapolis - (312) 275-0130
Simple DNS Tools since 2008: xnnd.com