Greetings.

I have a dummy domain for DNS records testing - 'edrc.top', with the
following SPF test record:
v=spf1 mx ptr include:_spf.google.com include:spf.smtp2go.com -all

What would be the correct number of DNS lookups (queries) that will be
performed during SPF record parsing at the time of validating sender IP -
7, 11 or 12 ?

Different online SPF checkers show different results.

Majority of them, like these 2, show 7 lookup
https://easydmarc.com/tools/spf-lookup/edrc.top?domain=edrc.top
https://dmarcian.com/spf-survey/?domain=edrc.top

another 2 tools show 11 lookups

*https://www.spf-record.com/spf-lookup/edrc.top
<https://www.spf-record.com/spf-lookup/edrc.top>https://www.mailhardener.com/tools/spf-validator?domain=edrc.top
<https://www.mailhardener.com/tools/spf-validator?domain=edrc.top>*

and this one shows 12 lookups
*https://www.dmarcanalyzer.com/spf/checker/?dmarcdns%5Btype%5D=spf&dmarcdns%5Bdomain%5D=edrc.top
<https://www.dmarcanalyzer.com/spf/checker/?dmarcdns%5Btype%5D=spf&dmarcdns%5Bdomain%5D=edrc.top>*

referring to following 2 sections of SPF's RFC I tend to agree that last
tool is most accurate and there are indeed 12 DNS lookups
- 1 for MX
- 5 for retrieved MX hostnames' A lookups
- 1 for void PTR lookup
- 4 for Google include
- 1 for smtp2go include

*MX mechanism* -* https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7208#section-5.4
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7208#section-5.4>*
This mechanism matches if <ip> is one of the MX hosts for a domain. Then it
performs an address lookup on each MX name returned.  The <ip> is compared
to each returned IP address.

*DNS Lookup Limits -**
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7208#section-4.6.4
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7208#section-4.6.4>*
When evaluating the "mx" mechanism, the number of "MX" resource records
queried is included in the overall limit of 10 mechanisms/modifiers that
cause DNS lookups as described above.
In addition to that limit, the evaluation of each "MX" record MUST NOT
result in querying more than 10 address records -- either "A" or "AAAA"
resource records.
If this limit is exceeded, the "mx" mechanism MUST produce a "permerror"
result.

However when I ran another check and sent email to various mailbox
providers (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, iCloud, Zoho, etc) from 'smtp2go' source,
which IP is covered by last,12th (according to dmarcanalyzer.com tool)
lookup, all recipient mailbox providers put "spf=pass" in received email
header.

So, looks that mailbox providers count MX mechanism as 1 lookup (no matter
how many hostnames MX record resolves to) and dmarcanalyzer.com tool lookup
check have nothing with reality,

Could you help with understanding how many DNS queries are being run for
the MX mechanism ?

Thank you,

*Alexander*