On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 1:08 PM John Levine via dmarc-discuss <
dmarc-discuss@dmarc.org> wrote:

> It appears that Alexander NAZARIAN via dmarc-discuss <
> alexander.nazar...@gmail.com> said:
> >So I want to understand whether having MX placed in the beginning of SPF
> >record can cause a quicker reach of '10 DNS lookup limitation' for G Suite
> >senders, due to the reason that G Suite has 5 MX records (and I assume
> that
> >number of DNS queries, executed to resolve MXes to IPs, is 6 and not 1)
>
> I think he already answered that question. Different implementations
> of SPF interpret the counting rule differently, so if you want your
> mail delivered, assume that they will use the largest count. If you
> are checking else's mail, use the smallest count. This is the well
> known robustness principle about interpreting ambiguous specs.
>
> This particular case has not come up in the past because, in practice,
> the only sites that use "mx" are tiny sites with a single mail host
> with a single address. It doesn't make a lot of sense for secondary MX
> hosts to be sending mail for someone's domain.
>
> I also think that some of the advice about limits in 7208 is not very
> good.  For example.
> you are likely to get different NOERROR counts evalating an ipv4 address
> than evaluating
> an ipv6 addresss since there are lots of hosts with A records but no AAAA.

I think the limits in the RFC are overly restrictive... as a receiver, I
don't see any issue with having a
much higher limit, you waste fairly minimal resources in that regard...
there may be an issue in the large
as a DoS type attack, but as a larger provider you might benefit more from
weighted throttling of requests
or more general DoS-style protections.

At least at one point we definitely saw enough senders requiring too many
lookups that we cared more about
trying to find a positive evaluation than downside from doing more.

Brandon