On 22/5/21 7:41 am, Brandon Long via dmarc-discuss wrote:

I think the limits in the RFC are overly restrictive... as a receiver, I don't see any issue with having a much higher limit, you waste fairly minimal resources in that regard... there may be an issue in the large as a DoS type attack, but as a larger provider you might benefit more from weighted throttling of requests
or more general DoS-style protections.

At least at one point we definitely saw enough senders requiring too many lookups that we cared more about
trying to find a positive evaluation than downside from doing more.

I'd suggest that a resolution to this might be to expand the finite limit (I've also had trouble with the 10 lookup limit, even for a small organisation), rather than to burden every implementation with reliance upon prioritisation capability and other DoS mitigation techniques merely to make DMARC safe to operate.

The interests of very large receivers are particularly important of course, but it would appear desirable to maintain the ability for receivers at any size to implement.

- Roland