On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 09:05 AM, Victor Mote wrote:

BTW, I looked for but did not find licensing information at tug & ctan
licensing information, as well as in my Norman Walsh book "Making TeX Work".
Does it use a GPL? If it had a compatible licensing scheme, it would sure
seem to make sense to use as much of the TeX work as possible.
Information about the licenses used by the TeX related softwares
are available on this page:
  http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/licenses.html

The core of TeX, the files written by Donald Knuth, doesn't seem to
be covered by a particular license apart from the README file
  http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/knuth/tex/README

The TeX FAQ confirms that TeX simply is free:
  http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=whyfree

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni