At 12:51 AM 1/31/2003, you wrote:
I made an inquiry on URW's web site yesterday, and received a response
today. The short story is that what I had inferred from the postings on
other lists is correct: the patent to hz-program is now owned by Adobe, and
is probably the basis for their paragraph-level formatting in InDesign. So
to summarize:
I'm puzzled how they can own a patent on an algorithm stated years
ago and summarized in a european student's thesis.  But then I don'w
know about these things   ;-)

        ' Best,
        -Ralph LaChance

        In theory, there is no difference between
        theory and practice, but in practice there is.

                (Jan L.A. van de Snepsheut (1953-1994), late of CalTech)