Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni wrote:

> Information about the licenses used by the TeX related softwares
> are available on this page:
>    http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/licenses.html
>
> The core of TeX, the files written by Donald Knuth, doesn't seem to
> be covered by a particular license apart from the README file
>    http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/knuth/tex/README
>
> The TeX FAQ confirms that TeX simply is free:
>    http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=whyfree

Thanks very much for digging those out. The last one describes what seems a
lot like the Apache license -- in other words, there don't seem to be
restrictions on commercial use. From what I have read so far, pdfTeX is the
implementation that uses the HZ stuff (or something similar) most heavily.
Digging through the first reference above led me to
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/pdftex.html which
indicates that pdfTeX uses the GPL, so we may be out of luck there.

Victor Mote