> On the popular liberal/progressive website Daily Kos, the equivalent of
> downvoting, “hide rec”’ing, is meant to be used only for really offensive or
> out-of-line comments. Abusing that function, i.e., by constantly doing it to
> the same user or similar opinions reasonably expressed, can lead to sanctions
> against your account.

I wonder if it might be worth it to try to envision a system that works
somewhat like a combination of Daily Kos, Slashdot, and Stack Exchange.  On
Stack Exchange you don’t immediately start with the ability to up or down vote
things, but gain the ability very quickly if you participate in discussions.  I
feel as though the reputation system of Stack Exchange, combined with the way
that Slashdot shows comments, and the verbiage and mannerisms of Daily Kos,
might allow for a pretty robust system.

Thank you,

Derric Atzrott