Actually, I think there's something to be said for downvoting. Not in the
reddit "i disagree" sense, but in the slashdot/ meta filter "comments
downvoted/flagged past a certain point will be hidden/deleted" sense. It
would obviously take a lot of work to make that work within the media wiki
software *and* the Wikimedia ethos, but it would probably save tons of
grief and derails if the worst of the worst comments were limited by
crowdsourced review.