I agree. But, it hasn't been serving those women who don't very well. The
NFL is appearing to have a better track record right now than the Wikimedia
community... in handling harassers and that's not saying much at all :)

Sarah

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM, LB <lightbreath...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And of course, that is the nub of the problem. Women shouldn't have to
> keep their heads down and write about acceptable and uncontroversial things
> to avoid getting harassed. (Also, I'm not sure even editing women
> scientists would be safe.)
>
> Lightbreather
>
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Sarah Stierch <sarah.stie...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Nathan. I do concur that harassment to the level myself, Carol and
>> other very active outspoken women have experienced on/off wiki is not the
>> standard experience for every woman who lines up to click edit.
>>
>> It sucks that it happens. But I also always remind people - unless you
>> are editing controversial subjects or pose a direct threat to the
>> patriarchy you won't get messed with. Or at least not much.
>>
>> Just keep your head down and write about knitting and women scientists.
>> You will be "just fine..."
>>
>> (With slight sarcasm :)
>>
>> Sarah

Sarah Stierch

-----

Diverse and engaging consulting for your organization.

www.sarahstierch.com