Jeff,

A couple of belated comments back - you'll probably know the answers
to these already by now.

> I don't quite follow. Let's say there are a bunch of messages for
> 'sinister' in the inbox. So if it's current August 1999, we use pick
> to select just those messages from August 1999.  But what happens if there
> are messages from July 1999 in the inbox? Do they stay there forever?
> Or do we have to loop this process over each month from the dawn of
> time? What am I missing here?

I had the impression that's how your own code worked, by just picking
out "similar" mails from the mailbox, based on destination address -
seemed sensible to me and just extended this to only picking out
mails for the same month.  Unless I'm missing something :)

> maillist.html --> most recent date index
> index.html    --> most recent thread index
> ???????.html  --> monthly index (either 'monthly.html' 'meta.html' or
>                   some other new name.)
>
> This allows consistancy for folks from the outside who link to lists
> at mail-archive.  Even if htdig starts at maillist.html, it should
> have no problem finding the monthly index, as long as there are links
> to follow. Symlinks would probably be useful here.

My thinking was that no files would reside at the default level where they
normally do for non-monthly lists, excepting and index.html and
maillist.html - so these fiels wouldn't be replacing anything, as all the
MHonarc-generated .html's are shuffled into month-specific sub-directories,
and where a no-monthly list would find in $list/maillist.html the latest
messages index, a monthly list would just use this as a pointer to the
directories below.

You probably know this by now anyway: I think you're right, actually,
that symlinks should be used: there should be a canonical URL for
each list which points to the latest indexes:

maillist.html -> YYYY-month-MM/mailist.html

This should be easy to do.  As you say, a cascaded monthly-specific
rc file for MHonarc with links to a separate index page (my
maillist.html, but named something else) would mean htdig indexes it
all just fine.  I forgot to think about this, as I'd done so much
work on my own rc's. :)

Oh and of course, your comments about ownership of code are fine:
you're welcome to do as you wish with my code, such as it is.  Look
forward to seeing your comments, and I'll volunteer my list to act as
guinea-pig if you like for monthly indexes: I'm very keen to get it
working as soon as I can.

Paul