The problem has the following facets:

 Computers with misset clocks screw up 'Date:'
 MH's 'pick -before/-after' command probably uses 'Date:'
 Imports emphasize the 'Date:' header
 Importing by bounce adds an unhelpful 'Received:' header.

Solution sets that I see are:

  a1) ask mailme to do monthly sorts off of received headers
  a2) find another way to do imports

  b1) ask mailme to do monthly sorts off of x-archive-with-date
      headers primarily, received headers secondarily
  b2) modify bounce.pl to generate x-archive-with-date based on
      received headers.

What I don't like is the extra complexity that all this will entail,
and also the fact that it would require duplicating some of the
functionality already found in MHonArc. Again, I'm going to ignore
this all for a while and worry about installing bigger disks.

>Yes, htDig going somewhere it shouldn't might be a problem, I can see
>that.  But Jeff, hasn't it been indexing attachments anyway already?
>limit_urls_to was set to foo/msg which is where the attachments are stored
>too, isn't it?

Nope. Attachments are placed in subdirectories; this is specified in
the default rcfile. As far as fancy htdig configuration tricks, I've
found the htdig users mailing list extremely hlful ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
so they may be able to help. Maybe we can restrict htdig to messages
only by telling htdig to only read .html files?

>That's ok as long as you don't mind me throwing these patches at you
>from time to time.  I think we're nearly there, honestly.

Patches are always appreciated.

Cheers,
Jeff