On September 8, 1999 at 05:06, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:

> 4) Htdig will now index the attachments. I didn't really want this, but
>    I also don't want the administrative headache of running a patched
>    MHonArc or a patched htdig, which is required for this sort of
>    functionality. I'll revisit this either when a future cersion of
>    htdig becomes available, or if it turns out to be a problem.

I can add back the .dir extension to the mhexternal.pl filter.  I can
add the option "nosubdirext" for it so users that do not want it
have a way to remove the extension w/o patching the code.  I know the
original reason, as mentioned by a user, for removing the .dir extension
was due to the stupidity of other software, but I figured there would
be no harm to remove the .dir.

I can create a minor update release of MHonArc, which will include
some other modifications beside the .dir thing, in the next couple
of days if you desire.

        --ewh