Perhaps ANIMA is an alternative? It has seemed to me that home networks
might be just a more specific case of autonomic networks.

For example, they've been defining a Generic Autonomic Signalling Protocol
(GRASP).

https://tools.ietf.org/wg/anima/

Brian Carpenter has been working on an implementation.

https://github.com/becarpenter/graspy