On 07-Oct-19 22:49, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Mark Smith <markzzzsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>     > Perhaps ANIMA is an alternative? It has seemed to me that home networks
>     > might be just a more specific case of autonomic networks.
>
>     > For example, they've been defining a Generic Autonomic Signalling
>     > Protocol (GRASP).
>
> GRASP has some overlap with HNCP, but HNCP isn't really the issue.
> Homenet has a routing protocol (BABEL).  It was going to be OSPFv3, and we'd
> add the information flooding that HNCP wound up doing into OSPFv3, but that
> "didn't work" and the WG (mysteriously) abandonned that idea.
>
> ANIMA's GRASP is also not a routing protocol: ANIMA builds an overlap control
> layer with IP over IPsec over IPv6LL tunnels, and runs RPL (RFC6550) as
> the routing protocol for the control plane.  While the resulting ACP shares
> some properties with the desired HOMENET routing goals, it's not the same
> thing at all.

No, it isn't. I didn't have time to reply fully yesterday.

First: when ANIMA was originally chartered, we took care to avoid overlap
and interference with HOMENET. In particular, ANIMA assumes there is some
degree of professional management of the network, which autonomic functions
are expected to enhance and simplify. Also they will probably do things
(like policy-driven decision taking) that are not really expected in
a home network.

Second: GRASP is not competing with HNCP. That's analyzed in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-anima-grasp-15#appendix-F
(GRASP is an approved draft, stuck waiting for missing references).

Third: If there was a desire to use the ANIMA work for homenets
or unmanaged small office networks, there would be work to do.
As Michael says, we'd need to adapt the autonomic control plane
accordingly. And then some autonomic service agents would need to
be written to fulfill, guess what, the HOMENET requirements
implied by RFC 7368. For example, an agent to perform address
assignment and an agent to configure the dataplane routing protocol.

Regards
   Brian