On Thu, Jan 18, 2007, Diego Iastrubni wrote about "Re: How Can We Help to Make
this Happen?":
> * OpenOffice.org to fully support hebrew. Importing DOC files is a must.
> Tables inside tables a must. HSpell integration out of the box on the
> official builds (not only the local ones). OOo still needs polishing.

Are the "importing doc files" and "tables inside tables" problems specific
to Hebrew, or general OpenOffice bugs? Can you point to bugs on
OpenOffice.org's bug tracker, that perhaps we can vote on?
Come to think of it, is anybody aware of a list of Hebrew or Israel specific
OpenOffice bugs tracked in OpenOffice.org's bug tracker?

About Hspell integration: Well, on any official build (not just the Hebrew
build), you can use the Hspell-derived "myspell" dictionary. You can install
it yourself using OpenOffice's menus (the "dicoo wizard"), or your distribution
can install it for you (in Fedora, the "openoffice.org-langpack-he_IL"
package gives you Hebrew spell-checking for OpenOffice, out of the box).

Indeed, integrating the Hspell code itself - not just the myspell-format -
makes Hebrew spell-checking much faster, consume less memory, and in some
issues, better. I think this is what they did with the Hebrew build. But can
you really expect the default builds of OpenOffice to include something as
obscure as a Hebrew-spellchecker (even if the entire Hspell is just 100K)?
Also, I wonder if the "right thing to do" is for OpenOffice to include a
copy of Hspell (like they do now), or to use an installed version of Hspell.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |       Friday, Jan 19 2007, 29 Tevet 5767
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |God created the world out of nothing, but