On Wednesday January 31 2007, Ira Abramov wrote:
> Quoting Jonathan Ben Avraham, from the post of Tue, 30 Jan:
> > Hi RP,
> > What reason do you have to believe that your identity is worth stealing?
>
> identity thievs give as much care to whose identity they abuse as much
> as an attack script cares if it's carpet-scanning machines that are
> Linux or windows. every day snort reports 14k-20K attack packets on my
> server, even though there is nothing interesting in it other than
> potential abuse of bandwidth if they DO break in.
>
> same with ID theft, they will use it to forge bank activity or
> something, or buy stolen cars on his name or who cares what.
>
> the question is, why does he think that calling himself "Random Penguin"
> is any protection :-)

So, a man decides to call himself Random Penguin, rather than, say, Daniel
Johnson or the less original John Smith, while posting to Linux-IL. Whatever
his intention was, I don't have a problem with that. There are groups that
don't allow nicknames, this is not one of them. This has nothing to do with
law and order in this forum. There were no rule to post under your real name
last time I checked, and even if it were, how would you enforce that? I don't
see any nice way to do that other than asking people to sign their mail, and
that would be a not very popular idea. Besides, I enjoy seeing a cleverly
crafted "bulletproof" virtual identity. Call me whatever you want, but I
believe that sometimes these virtuals allow a person to express her/him-self
better than under the real name. There are topics some people would like to
discuss while staying incognito. Now, his decision that Linux in Israel is
one of these topics is none of my business. I like to see who is who in this
trade, but that's my point of view and I am not to project it on others. Not
to mention that we all agree that withholding one's identity online is a
right worth exercising. The question of how to do it efficiently is left as
an exercise to the reader.

--
Sincerely Yours,
Michael Vasiliev

.. Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer, my
terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.  Any resemblance
between the above and my own views is non-deterministic.  The question of the
existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is left as an
exercise for the reader.  The question of the existence of the reader is left
as an exercise for the second god coefficient.  (A discussion of
non-orthogonal, non-integral polytheism is beyond the scope of this article.)