Peter wrote:
> You mean *gasp* m$ mail agents which produce a message id that
> uniquely identifies the sender, the machine, the time, and the message
> are ok, but not a signature ?
Yes. That's what I mean.
>> According to the law in Israel (and in other countries too), digitally
>> signing an email is identical to snail mailing the recipient a letter
>> saying "I hereby commit to doing everything said in this email", bearing
>> your signature.
>
> Can you quote this law please ? Here and 'elsewhere'.
I'm not sure about elsewhere. Maybe
http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/1,7340,L-24852,00.html will help. For
Israel, I can not find the final version, but here's a digest of an
advanced draft (http://www.law.co.il/showarticles.php?d=h&article=56),
and you have my word that the law was, indeed, passed.

If you need more, do your own search.
>> Really, really bad idea.
> Yeah, really bad. Everyone and their sisters already know you sent the
> message, it is in your logs, it is in the recipient's logs, it is in
> the ISPs logs, and then you deny that you meant to say what you said
> when they come after you because it is not signed ? Really ?
If they sue you in court, you can say that "I will take out the garbage"
was a by-saying. If you digitally signed it, it's a binding contract.

That's ok, so long as that's what you meant to do. Somehow, I doubt that
it is the case for each and every email you write.
> Also digitally signing a document doesnt imply anything legal
It does in Israel. It does in the  USA. I'm not sure about other countries.
> Also to keep spooks and s**t like that on their toes it is every man's
> duty to add a random hash to his outgoing messages. Like X-007:
> YTfFYyyfDDk676 (different from time to time of course).
And this will help.... how?

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh