Peter wrote:
>> I meant, how will this help against the fact that, if you sign your
>> emails, they are legally binding?
> It would not.
Then why did you say it would? /me is confused.
> But then nothing else would.
Not true. Not signing trivial emails would. A recommendation, I might
add, that you mocked. I am not holding my breath for an apology, but
feel free to surprise me.
> The redefinition of a digital signature as 'legally binding' is such a
> redefinition.
There is no redefinition here. Digital signatures were always a verified
way of establishing that you said something. Automatic signing of all
outgoing mail was always of questionable wisdom. The only thing that
changed is that it is even less smart to do so today.
> It may be useful but imho people are not clear about this (I wasn't
> for sure until someone pointed out the relatively recent law).
That's why I gave the advice I did.
> Consider the following: Many companies and individuals have a standard
> signature that contains a disclaimer that says that 'the opinions
> herein ... do not represent anything in particular ... are not yada
> yada ... no legal advice ...' etc etc.
IANAL, but I doubt that digital signatures change anything in that
regard. Signed or not, there is a limit on how much you can limit your
liability. Signing your outgoing mail makes you liable for what you say,
but the fact that you digitally signed your email does not change my
rights. That's exactly the reason it's so important not to automatically
sign everything.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh