Hi Dan,

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 11:18 PM Dan Kenigsberg <dan...@cs.technion.ac.il>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 01, 2022 at 06:47:41AM +0300, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been working on an online Ladino (Judeo-Espanyol) dictionary
> > https://diksionaryo.szabgab.com/ The code is open source the content is
> > CC BY-SA 4.0  https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
> > All linked from the About page.
> > Along with the creation of the translation I also have a (growing) list
> of
> > ladino words.
> >
> > I would like to make this available as a spell checker in various Open
> > Source tools.
> > E.g. Firefox, Chromium, LibreOffice etc.
> > I wrote about it a few weeks ago
> > https://szabgab.com/add-spellchecker-to-various-applications.html but I
> am
> > still unclear what and how to do.
> >
> > I started to generate a pair of files that resemble the format of hspell,
> > but I don't know how to really test them and in any case they don't seem
> > work well.
> > I also don't know how to distribute what I already have and how to make
> it
> > included in those projects.
> >
> > Anyone here has experience with spell-checkers?
> > Could anyone help me in the project or at least point me in the right
> > direction?
>
> Well, if I were you, I'd start by creating a github repository with your
> code and a tagged version of your artifacts, these .aff and .dic files
> used by hunspell.

It is being generated now on every push:
https://github.com/szabgab/ladino-diksionaryo-generated/

I can put on some tags if you think they are important for some reason, but
I don't have specific release points.
Every change in the dictionary triggers the re-build of the whole web site
and the two files as well.

> This would let anyone with high-enough motivation the ability to test it
> on their own machine (I may volunteer).

I'd really like to know how do you (or some else) test it.

> Next, I'm afraid, comes specialized packaging for different environments.
> In hspell I added Makefile targets for hunspell-he.rpm and for Mozilla
> xpi. The former is good enough for most application on
> Fedora/CentOS/RHEL. Then you could propose the rpm to Fedora;
> or the xpi to Mozilla; or hope that someone else does it for you for
> OSes and applications you are not familiar with.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

> It's a long process, but when it works it's quite satisfying.

I am sure. The whole direction creation project will take a long time, but
if I can show more value coming out
from the project (e.g.  a spell checker in FF or Chrome)  that might
motivate more people to help out.

BTW do you, or anyone else on the list have other suggestions which OS
projects might be worth targeting
to include the Ladino spell-checker or dictionary?

regards
   Gabor