Quoting steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com>:

on 2012-01-17 16:02 Brian Walters wrote
According to Fastmail support I'm hitting their new daily bandwidth limits. I'm
not convinced so I'm still discussing it with them.

hmm, those limits are pretty high, and it's odd that they would cause a delay in just one email source ...

Yeah I thought so too. The daily limit for the free, base level account I use is 120 MB. Can 100-120 PDML messages a day reach that?

i suspect an intermediate server is delaying the emails; check the raw headers ? there should be a time stamp at each server; do you notice any big gaps in the timestamps (on the messages that were delayed)?

I'm using Fastmail via the web interface so I can't see any headers.

i moved from a local ISP to a paid fastmail account about six months ago and i'm very happy with it; i chose fastmail after a fairly extensive search; i have a detailed script that filters all my email into folders on the server side (meaning filtering happens regardless of what client i use), copies some to another account, and applies Thunderbird labels to some; works great; it can take 15 minutes for the server-side forwarding (which may also include the polling delay on the other account), but the rest has been very solid

Fastmail has served me well for the last 3 or 4 years so I'm a bit bemused about this problem. I'll see what their support says but as I own lyons-ryan.org and haven't used any of the available email addresses there, I might just stick to it from now on.

--
Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters