No, I do not agree that it is a ridiculous and thankless job. Educate those around you as to your true competencies, which are plain language writing, procedural writing, clear and concise communication, liaison between developers and others in the company, user analysis, task analysis, usability, user performance support, user experience improvement, contributing to other departments such as QA, customer support, training, and even marketing & sales, and helping maintain the company image in user-facing communication.

Our profession is one of relationship building -- first with our users, but also with SMEs, development colleagues, and other stakeholders. We are one of the few professions that interface with nearly every other department in a company. We are one of the few employees who gets to see the big picture of what is being developed. Take ownership of your publications. You schedule the meeting, outline your information needs in a documentation plan and get stakeholder signoff on it. Their signoff implies acceptance of the terms therein, including the requirement for SMEs to be available for interviews, and for timely reviews of drafts. State that clearly in your doc plan.

See yourself as the consummate professional communicator that you are, and approach your job that way. They NEED us badly, because few others can really do what we do. It's a shame we have to educate our employers and colleagues, but it comes with the territory. And it's still the best profession ever.
--Beth

Beth Agnew, Professor
Co-ordinator, Technical Communication Program
Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology
Toronto, ON
http://www.senecatechcomm.com

raj nair wrote:
At times, I wonder why technical writers are the least common denominators in a software
company. For example, if I submit a document for review, people schedule it for the last
few hours of a business day. This amply explains the 'importance' given to that task.
Moreover, I have to work with arrogant developers, testers, SMEs, and managers, who don't
care a damn about the information needs of technical writers. There is also an absurd
level of "technical apartheid" that at times gives a really wretched feeling.
Since a majority of the technical writers have no programming background or releavant
domain knowledge, people find it very easy to dismiss them as irrelevant irritants.
Ultimately, the conclusion that I can arrive at is that this is a ridiculous and
thankless job. Do you agree?

Raj
Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more.
http://windows.microsoft.com/shop
solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or HTML and
publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals. Download Free Trial.
www.doctohelp.comhttp://www.techcommpros.com/componentone/

Need help? Contact listad...@techcommpros.com