I'm a little late to the party but... I firmly believe that you get what you
pay for. And that goes for the career, too. If you walk around with a chip
on your shoulder, people will respond that way.

I *will* say that it's been years and years since I've worked in a company
where what I do was not valued. I'm a very integral part of the teams that
make up our software development group, and even outside the software group.
Many of the other groups ask me for information, just as I do them. I rarely
if ever feel as if I'm the least common denominator. In fact, more often, I
know more of the overall picture than many others, since I'm a bit of a hub
with QA, Dev, PM, FE, and so on.

I also never feel as if the fact that I am not a programmer is a detriment.
I'm a professional in my own chosen field, and I'm well respected within my
organization. I would suggest that you work on gaining the respect of
others, rather than pulling the "woe is me" thing.

Finally, I consider what I do as a writer and online help author as a
career. This is NOT just a job. This is something I love to do and just so
happens to be something I'm good at. If you consider being a technical
writer as just a job, maybe you are in the wrong career? (Sorry if this is
blunt, but really, if you aren't getting the respect you need, maybe it's
something that you need to change?)

...sue