It can be if you let it, but so can any job. I have heard this same complaint from mechanical engineers working at mostly electronics companies, and from software engineers working at places where software is not the primary product. And imagine what life was like for auditors at mortgage companies during the housing loan bubble, or how it is now for auditors at companies with no-bid contracts with the US govt.

Sometimes you can earn the respect of your coworkers. Sometimes you have to get the person who respected you enough to sign off on your position and your hiring to grab your coworkers by their collars and make them work with you whether they respect you or not. And sometimes you just have to go out and find yourself a new set of coworkers.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "raj nair" <raj_gree...@hotmail.com>
At times, I wonder why technical writers are the least common denominators in a software company. For example, if I submit a document for review, people schedule it for the last few hours of a business day. This amply explains the 'importance' given to that task. Moreover, I have to work with arrogant developers, testers, SMEs, and managers, who don't care a damn about the information needs of technical writers. There is also an absurd level of "technical apartheid" that at times gives a really wretched feeling. Since a majority of the technical writers have no programming background or releavant domain knowledge, people find it very easy to dismiss them as irrelevant irritants. Ultimately, the conclusion that I can arrive at is that this is a ridiculous and thankless job. Do you agree?

solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or HTML and
publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals. Download Free Trial.
www.doctohelp.comhttp://www.techcommpros.com/componentone/