> At times, I wonder why technical writers are the least common denominators in
> a software company.

Only if you allow yourself to be.

> For example, if I submit a document for review, people schedule it for the
> last few hours of a business day. This amply explains the 'importance' given
> to that task.

Or that they have their own jobs to do as well.

> Moreover, I have to work with arrogant developers, testers, SMEs, and
> managers, who don't care a damn about the information needs of technical
> writers.

What are your needs? What are their expectations of you? How are you
meeting them and altering them when they don't fit?

> There is also an absurd level of "technical apartheid" that at times gives a
> really wretched feeling. Since a majority of the technical writers have no
> programming background or releavant domain knowledge, people find it very
> easy to dismiss them as irrelevant irritants.

> I've never experienced this.

> Ultimately, the conclusion that I can arrive at is that this is a ridiculous
> and thankless job. Do you agree?

Nope.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood

Available for contract and full time opportunities.

STC Ideas: http://stcideas.ning.com
Join: http://stcideas.ning.com/?xgi=6X1vNGI

solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or HTML and
publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals. Download Free Trial.
www.doctohelp.comhttp://www.techcommpros.com/componentone/