Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time at your company Raj. I have
been lucky in that with the exception of working for one of the auto
companies in the late 1960s (shortly after graduating high school), I've
always been treated as a valuable member of a team. I will admit that this
is partly due to my attitude. If need be, I can be as arrogant as the
developers, SMEs, testers, and managers. I don't allow anyone to talk down
to me and I don't talk down to anyone. Then again, unlike your description
of a majority of tech writers (no programming background or relevant domain
knowledge), my background includes a minor in Computer Science, web
development, and time spent building and maintaining complex electronic
systems (hardware and software). As a manager, I tend to hire writers with
at least some experience in software or hardware (depending on the project)
because it overcomes many of the problems you are currently experiencing.

You can't demand respect....you earn respect Developers, SMEs, et. al. are
extremely busy. If you want their respect, don't waste their time whining
about how they treat you. Learn programming (at least the basics of the
languages the company is using). If you are documenting hardware, learn to
read schematics and production drawings. When you ask for information, be
focused on what you want. I work hard at understanding the manufacturing,
operation and service of the complex systems I document because I find it
all fascinating and I expect every writer working for me to do the same. I
don't want someone working for me just because it's a job. I want them
working for me because they love writing and challenges.

You will be treated as an irrelevant irritant if you are one. If you bust
butt and become a knowledge sponge, and start asking relevant questions, you
will find the attitude you describe toward tech writers will change.
However, if you truly believe that this is a ridiculous and thankless
job...get a different job. Nobody says you have to spend your life doing
something you don't like.

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al.ge...@geistassociates.com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
See Also:
Fine Art Photography
Website: www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or HTML and
publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals. Download Free Trial.
www.doctohelp.comhttp://www.techcommpros.com/componentone/